Thursday, March 15, 2007

Mahashweta -a book review

Being in an organization headed by Mr. Narayan Murthy, I have heard the story of the making of this organization hundreds of times. This is how I got to know that Mrs. Murthy has sacrificed and contributed a lot during the initial few years of this company. Anyway, I’m not going to write about or this organization here but I’ll be writing about a book of Mrs. Sudha Murthy that deeply touched me and has inspired me to read more of her books. This book is ‘Mahashweta’. It’s a touching story of a courageous girl, Anupama, who suffers from leukoderma just after her marriage. How the hypocritical society, insensitive in-laws and husband obsessed with beauty treat her! Above all, her husband is a doctor who knows it very well that leukoderma is a harmless disease in which a person suffers from a deficiency in the pigmentation of skin. The writer has portrayed various aspects of Indian society – arranged marriages, dominating mother in-law, helpful friends, hypocrite relatives, a cursing stepmother, and worried parents of a young Indian girl.I would recommend everyone to read this novel once especially those who are planning to tie the nuptial knot in the coming years. Marriage is a commitment for a lifetime. Make this commitment only if you are prepared to honour it. Hey did I tell you why the name of the novel is Mahashweta. It is a dram in which Anupama plays the lead role and seeing that a rich and handsome doctor falls in love with her. Read the book to know the whole story :)

7 comments:

@nkur said...

I have another great book by Mrs.Murthy, shall give it to you when you return.

prabhahoney said...

prabha tells,

I am a great lover of sudha murty's writings. I am doing my research on her work
maha sweta.Let me know a fewer comments from the people who has read it.

nanditha tm said...

I just finished reading this book..Loved it so much.

Unknown said...

but its pitty that it is not having a happy ending...............

Kruti said...

Mahashweta can inspire anyone. In fact I love the end of this book. Something realistic.

Shalomi said...

Women Empowerment in practical life is not possible....Women should be under men....How can a lady survive without marriage!...Education to women is vain....ALL THESE RUBBISH THOUGHTS was broken into innumerable pieces by this story. Mrs. Sudha Kulkarni, made me feel very proud to be born as a girl. Mahashweta is my INSPIRATION....

Nikhila said...

I just completed reading this great book by a great writer.I would like to thank the writer for making me enjoy my reading.Your books have always made me want to read more .
Hope you keep writing books like this.
From a satisfied reader.